Monday, March 9, 2009

Geese are not compliant

Lesson learned- Geese are not cooperative in any sense of the word. I don't mean to generalize, but in my experience with geese, which have been few and far between, have not been pleasant. Jake and I were trying to capture the beauty that which is the Canadian Geese on his pond. Our objective was to either have the geese swim close enough to where we were on the shore, or to have them fly above us within range so Jake could get a nice shot. The pond is large and we tried to be sneaky, but everytime we would get close, those darn geese would swim swiftly away. Jake hid in the brushes and I went on the other side of the pond to try to scare them towards him. They wouldn't do it. Finally, as I distracted them Jake was able to sneak up behind them and get close to them, but then they took flight and flew away! Jake quickly took the shot as they were flying above the pond but they were quite far away. The picture still turned out nicely though. We spotted some yellow tuplips as well, which we found out later were crokuses. Jake decided to capture the first sign of spring with his camera and it turned out very well. I love taking pictures with Jake. It has to be one of my favourite Sunday afternoon activities.

Sundays are my favourite day of the week I think. This Sunday was no exception. We started the day off right by going to church at Cascades Baptist Church. The Barney's pick me up at my house at 9:30 and we sometimes eat breakfast in the car. I really love going to this church! The pastor is from England and right now we have been studying the old law (legalistic) and Grace. How thankful I am that God has given us Grace. I know this does not mean because God will forgive us we can do whatever we want, but it is reassuring that we don't have to be binded by rules and regulations, and that when we sin, God always forgives us.

After church, we come back to the Barney's house and have a wonderful home-cooked meal. Mrs. Barney is an excellent cook and I love eating there! Yesterday we had Roast-Beast, potatoes and carrots, salad, and something else but I cannot remember it. Nick, Angie and Baby Drew also came over for lunch and it was very entertaining. Drew is such a cute baby, that it is always a great time when he is around.

When lunch is over, Jake and I usually have a nap on the couch. Everyone was in the living room watching Basketball and we napped and fell asleep holding hands, it was the best. I listened to all the conversations and it was very soothing and relaxing. Gus (one of their three cats) came and slept on Jake as well, we were all very cozy. I of course always awaken before Jake does, so He then put his feet on my lap while I worked on homework and studying for my anatomy exam. Mrs. Barney made me a tea, which was just what I needed after a lovely dinner and nap, and to warm me up from the dampness outside. It had been stormy and rainy all afternoon. Suddenly the sun started to peek out, and I could smell cookies in the oven. I woke Jake up and had to pull him up with all my strength to try to make him sit up. He is very hard to get up. We enjoyed freshly baked cookies and milk and ventured on outside. This is when we started taking pictures outdoors. (I am going to see if I can scan some of Jake's pictures and post them on my blog. They are wonderful.)

While we were by the pond Jake's dad called for us to come in for dinner. We got what we needed outside, so we were ready to eat cheese burgers. My socks were also very wet since I did not bring any running shoes, and only had my dress shoes for church. I still wanted to go on the adventure though, so wet feet to me was worth it.

After dinner, Jake took a few more pictures while I worked on a bit of homework. We headed back to school about 8 oclock and then went to the lab to develop the pictures Jake had taken that day. I love helping Jake develop his photographs. I don't really do to much to help, but I am in charge of timing each process and I like to keep him company.

Well, this post isn't really finished. I know it's a pretty detailed account of my sunday afternoon, but I thought I would share how much I love them. I am now off to class!

4 comments:

Melanie Eccles said...

I love you, Melissa!

Britt said...

I'm soo glad you did share - it sounds wonderful!!!

Ama's in Denver :] said...

Mgal - I miss you!

Ang said...

I like Sundays too! and when u and Jake are there when we are!